Saturday, December 15, 2012

(179) retail therapy

I went to visit my childhood friend. She showed me four working shirts: two with long sleeves and two with short sleeves. They are lovely shirts: white, black, pink and purple. Each with different collars and minor variations in design. Come to think of it, when we first started to work we would go to look at shirts like that in Metrojaya (a departmental store popular many years ago) on Saturdays but could not afford to buy any of them.

Don't ask me why, she actually bought them a size smaller and after keeping them for a year in her closet she decided to give them to my daughter, Elizabeth. I was of course overjoyed as those were lovely clothes of high quality. As I was driving back, I wonder if this is a sort of retail therapy. You see, when we were that size, we were living from hand to mouth. It would be a good month if we could save one hundred dollars. Then we rolled into the land of becoming mothers. New mothers obviously could not fit into tight shirts. Then we quickly grow into practical women who wear clothes that required no ironing. Now that our children are off our hands, we finally have the extra time to go shopping to our hearts' content. For her, she has a high disposable income too, thanks to her inheritance from her mom.

Well, I happen to have all I need but not much else to burn. To date, I have not bought things that I don't wear or use. But I wonder, suppose I have an extra $300,000 cash in the bank, would I become a wishful shopper too?

No comments:

Post a Comment