Sunday, December 16, 2012

(180) Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

This is a very thick (1273 pages) book. The main idea is to have the newly appointed Vice President who did not get elected by the electorate promoted to be the President of the United States after a disaster that killed 80% of the elected government.

The trait that the new president has which distinguished him from all the others is that he hates politics. Since he was not elected, he never accepted a single dollar campaign fund. For once, America has a decent chance of having  a bunch of efficient and non-corrupted officials.

I find the first part very interesting with a working First Lady and a toddler in the White House. However, when I moved to the part of warfare with Iran-Iraq, things became heavy. I could no longer keep track of names of combatants, advisers, countries, intelligent officers ... Well, if I am studying it for history, I would have created a table of notes to keep track. For leisure reading, I chose to skip certain parts that hold no interest for me. Kind of a waste not to read from beginning to end! Clancy is certainly a big picture author.

No comments:

Post a Comment