Sunday, May 29, 2011

(432) BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker

Ted Dekker is one of Elizabeth's favourite authors. I must have read his books before. But I don't remember any of his books before this one. Perhaps if I can see the covers of his earlier books, I would remember.

It is a tightly woven thriller that kept me glued to the pages. It is not the violence that I like, but rather the plot, the characters of the main players and the psychology that are fascinating. Books on serial killers are commonly available. This one, however, is unusual because it involved a repentant father. In real life, I find some men very short sighted. I do not mean myopia, which can easily be corrected by glasses. I have come across a few who married unsuitable women but stuck to their marriages stoically throughout their lives. Unfortunately, such noble sacrifice does not endear them to their spouses and children.

Ryan Evans, the father in this book, escaped from his mistake of marrying the wrong woman by consecutive combat deployments in overseas theatres. His wife, enjoys the ease of having an absentee husband who kept her and her adopted daughter in the lap of luxury. After a series of affairs in the fifteen years she spent bringing up her daughter, she finally came close to catching her illusive perfect mate: the district attorney who is a womanizer. If BoneMan did not murder them, perhaps the socialite and the philanderer might have made the perfect couple of the year, at least on poster.

The book ends with the repentant father, who almost gave his life in exchange for his adopted daughter's, reunited and reconciled with the apple of his eyes. Thanks to the executions in the dessert that brought out his latent love for his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment