Friday, May 20, 2011

(408) Fried noodle seller

The other day I went to buy food for my mum and niece. The latter likes the fried noodle in my mum's favourite restaurant. Sad to say, he wasn't there. Since I was in a chatty mood that morning, I asked when he would come back

Apparently the answer is never. He has quarreled with every other hawker in the shop. In his previous stint, the shop owners had asked him to leave. In this case, the lady boss, who is a very pragmatic and hard working Foo Chow person, did not. This quarrelsome man left of his own accord.

I must have purchased food from his wife on and off for half a year or so. I was not aware that he had had bad relationships with his colleagues. Neither did I guess that he abused his wife physically and verbally. On the contrary I used to think the wife has a sweet and submissive nature. I did not notice bruises as in other cases of spousal abuse.

Obviously his departing is good riddance to everyone concern in the coffee shop. But I wonder if the poor wife would be worse off as the only means of livelihood for the moment is cut off. I hope he can find another place to set up business. After all, he could produce the best fried rice noodle this side of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment