Friday, May 20, 2011

(412) Learning Difficulties 18

Someone in the conference brought out the topic of autism. Long ago I had a brush with a case of Asperger's Syndrome.

While Keziah was in the kindergarten, I befriended her teacher. Till today, we are still friends even though we seldom see each other. She tutors slow students. Off and on she called me up to pick my brain on certain mannerism her students exibit. I may not be able to give her an immediate answer all the time. But answers do come, some times through books and magazines, people, talking to fellow teachers and tutors or some times I dream of related things and as soon as I woke up, the solution came in a flash. God is good, he gives wisdom to those who ask for it.

This kindergarten teacher is one of a few I have met who continues to learn into her gray hair years. I love her for it. So when she kept pestering me about a boy,  I agreed to see him. After the initial assessment, I offered to accompany him to the public library half to one hour once a week Those days I haunted the children's library to source for teaching materials to educate my children. Therefore it was no hard ship babysitting him during my hours of book hunting.

It is true that he has good vocab, I discretely tested him through getting him to read out titles for me. But he refused to read. From day one I laid down the rules. He does not have to read, but he cannot leave my line of sight until he asked me for leave and told me how long it would take for him to return. He can talk to me softly but no yelling and disruptive behavior that would get him kicked out of the library. Throughout the few months I saw him, he behaved beautifully. I have absolutely no complaints. After a few weeks, he gave in. To pass time, he hunted for fun things to look at. Slowly I passed him things to read. He was caught with a puzzle book that is filled with pictures. That was the very first book he asked me for help to find out what author wanted him to do. Then came time to go home and he was reluctant to leave. After extracting serious promises from him at the dire warning of fines and the need to pay for a missing book, he was allowed to bring the book home on my membership card. After that, he was slowly but surely caught by the lure of books.

I think after about three to four months, instead of having a fidgety boy, I have a studious lamb quietly looking for books he likes or he could be intently reading. Then there was no longer any need to force him to go to the library with me. His parents were happy. His tutor was pleased. And I learned a few things about a high functioning autistic child.

No comments:

Post a Comment