Saturday, May 7, 2011

(397) Recycling 6

After I moved into my current house,  I acquired a few new neighbours. One of them is a single mother. After her son shifted out to live on campus, she wanted to get rid of a chest of drawers. I took a look and told her not to leave it out exposed to the weather. I gathered our sons to move it to my house. Just around that time someone gave Elizabeth a whole bunch of winter clothing. I cleaned up the chest of drawers, let it dry and then stored those extra clothes.

About two months ago, Elizabeth received an acceptance from an American university. I took a big suitcase from another neighbour and transferred all those clothes into it. Actually we still had not raised the funds for enrolling her yet, but by faith we are getting ready for her to go.

When I was sending a returning missionary home, she mentioned she needed to look for furniture to move into a bigger room. My antennae came out and I asked her what she was looking for. She was deciding between a wardrobe or a chest of drawers. Straight away I offered my chest of drawers. Two weeks later she came to take a look. It was made of good quality wood. Not like those in the furniture shop that was made of ply wood. Since she did not mind the chipped black paint, she decided to take it rather than shell out $150 for the modern flimsy item.

Now we await a volunteer van driver so that we can transport the drawers to its new home. It felt good to be able to rescue a good piece of furniture from being thrown away. I have enjoyed using it for almost three years now. If our missionary friend is a handy woman, she may even repaint it and give it a new appearance as well as a new lease of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment