Friday, May 6, 2011

(396) Hurtful comments

A friend was relating how she was hurt by discriminating comments by her professor throughout her five years of college. While she had dealt with it, had talked with the prof before graduation and forgiven him. I could still see the lines of hurt on her face throughout the time she was relating the experience. Normally she is a sweet, joyful and cheerful person.

You see, she came from a minority tribe in northern Borneo. She was probably the very first person from her tribe to venture to the capital city to further her studies. Of course her English speaking ability at the point of college entrance was much lower than those city denizens who have far more opportunities to listen, speak and use English. While she came from a rural area with no running water and electricity, she did not live in tree houses. To say so in a sarcastic manner in front of all the students in a lecture hall would hurt a young girl's feelings. She may be disadvantaged by her origin and back ground, but she was not part of a savage, man-eating stone-age tribe.

 Looking back, I was caught in that kind of situation  within the first few weeks of arriving in USA. A snooty poor little rich girl asked me pointedly in front a crowd in a Dormitory Social if I lived on top of trees in my home country. I was extremely blessed that my mature student friend from Africa came to my defence. Together we painted an exotic, admirable picture of living in a jungle. It was an adventure, a good life that they would never have the opportunity to experience. Until my graduation, one of the girls who heard that creative exposition still was amazed that a former jungle girl like me could be elected to become a Phi Beta Kappa. By then, I have accepted the fact that most Americans I met have little geographical knowledge outside of  North America and Europe. Since we were friends and enjoyed each others' company, and she never asked me about my home country, I saw no reason to educate her about the Far East.

No comments:

Post a Comment