Friday, October 19, 2012

(85) Return by Karen Kingsbury

I came across my first Karen Kingsbury book when Elizabeth borrowed two from her friend after their visit to Doulos, the library ship a few years ago.

Unlike Elizabeth, I grew up in a pre-Christian home. I did not read any Christian book until my late twenties. Sure, Christian novels keep to biblical values. But, I must be honest to say that not all Christian stories are up to the market place standard. I say that with shame, as I am doing nothing to help the situation. Much as I like to write, I don't think I am cut out to become a novel writer.

Perhaps one should not compare a secular novel with a Christian novel, as they are from two completely different genres. If there are die hard Christians among my readers, you may feel like throwing rotten eggs at me. I would not spend even five dollars buying most Christian novels (second hand). I did buy one of the "A Cape Light Novel" : A New Leaf by Thomas Kinkade & Katherine Spencer because Elizabeth and I wanted to complete the series. Elizabeth received two books of the series as a birthday present. I can't remember buying another book that belongs to this grouping.

Perhaps what was foremost in any Christian writer's mind is to preach God's truth. That could be the underlying reason why many such Christian novels seemed so contrived, stiff and unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment