Wednesday, October 17, 2012

(80) How to Lose a Guy in 10 days

Believe it or not, I have watched this movie twice. The first time my husband was watching it and I was attracted to the clothes those women employees were wearing in the magazine office. A few months later, I could not even remember how the show ended.

One day I could think of nothing to blog, and my husband suggested this movie. The second time round, I noticed more things in the movie. Here I confess that I am late bloomer in AV communication. I suppose not many people my age grew up in homes with no television. My eldest brother used his year end bonus to buy us a tiny TV--our very first idiot box. I was 19 when I finally could watch my first TV show in the comfort of my own sitting room.

Most of the time I would prefer a book than a movie. Interestingly, watching this romantic comedy second time round, I actually enjoyed it more than the first time. It is not that fantastic a movie, certainly not any block buster. It is funny that I thought of quite a few of my dorm mates whom I have not thought about for at least twenty five years. My husband said it is the nostalgic factor. Lately I hardly met anyone American, at least not any frivolous and fluffy ones or the sharp and bitchy type. I have to ask my husband what exactly happened at the end, he explained the bit about calling her bluff. She was trying to run away from her own mistake, not exactly because of the interview in Washington. You see, I have worked for decades on vocab, grammar, comprehension,writing and even public speaking, my listening ability is still below average. By the time my movie buff son was 9 years old, he was the one who could tell me what was just said on screen when I froze the screen. That comes from learning English as the 5th language/dialect at the age of 9(that is me). I still prefer to watch any English movie in a public cinema because of the availability of subtitle in the national language.

No comments:

Post a Comment