Tuesday, October 2, 2012

(67) Gift certificates

When I was a student, I used to be very happy to receive book certificates as prizes at the end of the year. With a book cert in hand I was able to hunt high and low in the designated book shop for a book I like.

As the years passed by, I see MPH gift certificates, Popular Book Vouchers, Jusco Vouchers ... Lately, the super market chain Carrefour launched their own gift voucher. Near where I live, a local Carrefour built two spacious glass partitioned private rooms, installed two beautiful young girls with individual latest model computer in those rooms. As I sat there on the cushioned bench provided in the white space in between the rooms after a strenuous walk about grocery shopping, I did not see even one customer making any inquiry for the 40 minutes I sat there waiting for my family who ventured to a nearby shopping center.

While one beauty killed time by filing her scarlet nails, the other was probably playing tic-tac-toe on the high tech computer. And I was left wondering whose bright idea it was to spend that kind of outlay to pay two workers to twiddle their thumbs day after day? In Jusco the customer service officer would serve in gift wrapping, gift redemption, card inquiry, card renewal as well as selling gift certificates.

No comments:

Post a Comment