Wednesday, October 17, 2012

(79) Absent in the Spring by Agatha Christie/Mary Westmacott

If I remember correctly, it was said that Christie's Absent in the Spring was a book that is almost biographical.

If I remember correctly, it was said that Absent in the Spring was the closest autobiographical fiction Christie wrote.

I read it with great interest, I have been looking for it for more than 10 years. Yet strangely, it did not ring true for her relationship with her daughter(whatever little I did pick up from her other books). The next possibility could be that she was the daughter and it was her mother that she portrayed in this non-detective novel.

I wonder what was the age she married her first husband? Did she pick that first guy who proposed to her in order to live away from her mother? From my pathetically little pile of facts, I cannot say yes or no to any of these questions with conviction! Being able to read this book added more questions than answers. It was not exactly helpful! Now I understand why my daughter, Elizabeth, said that Virginia Woolf was famous not just for all her books but her many volumes of journals were a treasure trove to students who wanted to find out more about her in order to understand her literary work.

Whenever I wonder why I need to continue to write about my responses to hundreds of book on this blog, I reminded myself that should I live 10 years more, I may chalk up 5000 blogs. Should God bless me with grand children some day, one of them may look to this record as a means to finding out the Grandma that he or she has never met.

No comments:

Post a Comment