Wednesday, July 25, 2012

(997) Life long dream

I decided to follow Jesus when I was 24 years old. When I informed my father that I wanted to be baptized, he was pretty upset. His reasoning went like that, why couldn't I continue to attend church and wait until I find a husband before getting baptized? After all, women normally out number men in any church in our country. My decision did not coincide with his reasoning, I told him if I could not get a Christian suitor, then I would stay single all my life. He laughed and said that he hoped that I would not be single at 45 and felt desperate to be wed.

What happened later was God did provide me with a believing husband. Years passed, I have two friends now who have passed the 45 mark. The first friend somehow was forced to divorce and lost her three children to her ex-husband when she decided to return to her home country. She deals with loneliness on a daily basis. Whenever she allows her thoughts to turn to self-pity, she cries. It is not that she desperately need to marry again to have a legal husband. But she has fears of dying alone in her own house. What she needs is someone to do things with and talk to everyday.

My second friend is divorced twice and has a grown daughter. For whatever reason, she never had a chance to wear the dream dress in her previous marriages. She became a Christian after both her divorces. Now for many years she has a dream of putting on a beautiful gown and walking down a church aisle to say I do. Finally I realize that my father is right, unless a woman gives up the idea of marrying totally, she would progressively get more desperate to find a husband when she is close to 50 years old. I suppose crooks make use of that quiet desperation to con such women out of their properties and life savings. Some women may even marry serial murderers who kill them for their assets or insurance compensation. It was by the grace of God that I do not face my friends' problem today.


No comments:

Post a Comment