Friday, July 13, 2012

(987) Me and Mr Darcy by Alexander Potter

Mr Darcy, apparently, is the lead male character in Pride and Prejudice. The funny thing is that I don't remember his name although I have read Pride and Prejudice at least three times in my life. When I was in high school, I once read the abridged version. When I was trying to inculcate a taste for the classics in my children, I borrowed it once and no one in my family read the book except me. Just two years ago Elizabeth (my daughter) bought it on sale, I read it yet again and marveled at how well Jane Austen wrote despite how limited the circumstances permitted her to experience life.

I really enjoyed reading about Emily Albright, who runs an old fashion book store in New York, went to England on a literary tour and met with her dream date. I like how Alexander neatly fitted the time travel meetings into a three month period when Mr Darcy was away from wherever his would be wife was. I also like how Potter parallel Emily's reactions to Spike as to Elizabeth's (from Pride and Prejudice) to Mr Darcy. Well, however romantic a fantasy date is, he would not count as much as a real date.

While I was reading this book, I recalled how my dorm mates would confide in me and others about their heart throbs. It was a nostalgic walk down memory lane of my college years. Faces flashed in my mind's eyes. Certain laughs, gestures and all kinds of expressions came. I thought of a few dear friends whom I have not thought about for many years. What I really admire and am extremely fond of about American girls is their candidness and ability to laugh at their own foibles. It is true that I chose to return to my birth country even though I could have stayed on in USA. But I suppose it would have been harder to leave if I had stayed on for another degree. To this day, I still miss those friends who would mean every word they said and expected no less from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment