Monday, July 16, 2012

(989) Chinese Wedding Dinner

Generally I avoid attending Chinese wedding dinners. For the last seven years, I attended two. A few nights ago I actually went and bought a dress, borrowed a pair of dainty heels and an evening bag to go to one.

This time, my friend spent lots of time making herself up that we actually were one of the last few groups to arrive. Even then, we waited for about 40 minutes before the host decided to order the meal to start, at close to nine o'clock. It was noisy, as usual, in spite of the posh surroundings. What I really dislike most is the traditional way folks shout and keep on shouting when offering toasts for the newly weds.

Still, I could not say no to a single mother who is really proud of her daughter marrying well. The groom's father, who is footing the bill for the dinner, gave a few tables to the bride's mom. Well, what are friends for? I feel I must be with her to celebrate her joyous occasion. If she has been rich and successful, I could easily plead dietary limitations or unwellness and send my husband or one of children to represent me. I guess in enjoying the privileges of friendship, one has to suffer through the torture of being part of a rowdy, noisy dinner.

One interesting thing happened: when the newly weds went up to the dais to cut the cake, most of the jaws around my round table dropped at the sight of the top of the bride's vital statistics! She wore this low cut evening gown that made her looked like she was walking down the red carpet in Hollywood. Two teenage girls opened their mouths and wondered aloud how come they were not well endowed as the bride. An aunt was around to give instant advice to the family maid. Apparently, the solution is to boil and serve green papaya and meat soup weekly. I have heard about such a soup helping women to have blemish free complexion, but until that moment I have never linked green papaya with bust size.    

Personally I have always thought it was genetics and perhaps consuming lots of chicken with plenty of artificial estrogen that promote cup size. Whatever it may be, I suppose either green papaya or chicken wings would be a better choice than breast enhancement surgery, which Singaporeans are said to give to their daughters as graduation presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment