Friday, October 28, 2011

(558) Money talks

I have come across cases of children who hate the delinquent parent who walked out. While I cannot blame them for feeling this way, I want to present the case on the opposite side of the fence.

An abused woman escaped to rebuild her life. She endured two years of living alone in a small rented room. Many times a week she went near her old house but stayed concealed to look at her children. When the divorce became final, she was awarded visitation right. Even though her ex-husband frustrate her often in meeting her children, she persisted.

This is the second year of her reconciliation with her children. Many thousands have been spent, she is dipping into her divorce settlement and her life savings to fulfill the many needs and wants of her two perhaps long deprived kids. You see, her ex had a very tight fist when it comes to money.

While I see the deep love of this woman for her children, I fear for her future. Unless there is a miracle, it is most unlikely these children would take care of her in her old age. I cannot stop her from caring and showing love, but I do advise her to practice restraint.

If she chooses to keep her nest egg intact, it would mean a cut in close ties. Now she chooses to sacrifice herself, I certainly hope they would not drop her like hot cakes when her extra cash is gone. You may think I am mercenary, but her brothers, sisters and close friends all concur that her best course of action lies with keeping her money.

No comments:

Post a Comment