Saturday, July 16, 2011

(504) Courtship

The other day I was watching a movie on cable TV. Since I was channel surfing when I hit the movie, I only watched about three quarters of it. Elizabeth and my mother joined me at the half way point. The main actress was very attractive. I really enjoyed seeing her in many outfits.

From the way the director was handling the movie, we saw the main actor pursuing the heroine. Yet at the end of the movie, the attractive actress revealed to her grandma that she had been eying the guy ever since she noticed him visiting his grandpa pretty often in her grandma's retirement home. She set about to plan to meet him seemingly by chance. Then she attracted him by some scheming and played hard to get after the incident. In the movie, he was caught and caught for all time. (If I see the movie again I will note the name to record here.)

When Elizabeth was in her good friend's house, a few teenagers and I talked about courtship. Elizabeth and I mentioned about this movie and the idea it put forward. Her friend, Vivien, agreed totally that nowadays guys are like that. It takes ingenuity to attract one desirable male and it takes more manipulation to catch him.

Thinking back, I was  really fortunate that I did not need to scheme and manipulate. I had two direct proposals four years apart. I accepted the second one and got married. In between I know if had hung on longer I would have gotten another two proposals. The very first offer was from a man much older than I was. If I had accepted him I would have become the lady boss of a big Chinese Restaurant near the Rockies. Another likely contender was a Navy pilot. The third was a rich developer's son who held a Green Card to Canada. I am glad that I don't have to plot and scheme to catch my prince.

While I am still on the topic, I am tickled to mention a novel way to catch a boy : as in Meg Cabot's All American Girl. In the book we have Samantha Madison declaring on National TV that she would like the rumours about her and the First Son being an item to be true. That certainly beats rescuing the President from being shot at.

No comments:

Post a Comment