Thursday, July 7, 2011

(498) Upbringing 53

Some children are like wild horses. When my brother went to school, my mother actually brought a cane to present to his teacher in front of him. She wisely told the teacher that the cane was meant for hitting my brother's arms and legs should my brother show disrespect. The middle age teacher was smart enough to place her hand on my brother's shoulder and said that she would be honoured to keep it to punish other pupils. She said that she was sure my brother would prove to be her best student, and he did. My brother was fortunate to be given an expert rider who knew how to break him in gently.

When Elizabeth went to school, she had some problems with the discipline of sitting for hours listening. When she was having disturbed sleep and dreaded going to school, I knew it was time to visit the class teacher. Remember that period of time I was visiting the public library at least once a week? I located a small volume of old folk tales and poems in the national language. Since it was out of print, I made two copies of it before returning. I brought one copy as a gift to Elizabeth's class. I must have a likely reason to visit without seeming to complain or spy. I know she would welcome the book because earlier she had copied a similar poem on the board as an exercise for the class to work on.

After presenting the copy, I told her how much I appreciate her effort in teaching my daughter literature at such a young age. Then I casually asked her if Elizabeth had been difficult or disobedient. She told me candidly that she really likes to teach my daughter as she is very quick to grasp concepts. Since Elizabeth is fast in finishing her work, she placed the girl next to a slower child to be helped. However, some times Elizabeth would stare at the teacher in a hostile manner. Since we are in Asia, the teacher wants to teach my child to look down instead of challenging an elder. Immediately I saw the problem.

The few nights after the visit, I enlisted the help of my older children. My bed time stories all involved  a young maid meeting a King, a princess, a witch and  a Premier. With my plots involving the actions of an untrained maid of tender years, and the reactions of the powers that be. The stories illustrates the terrible things that could happen to the young girl should there be no one to intervene. The persons to help the girl could be the Chamberlain, a lady in waiting, the black cat or an adviser. I remember Michael asking the right questions at the right points, and Keziah guessing the outcomes quite correctly. And we all awaited Elizabeth to state the moral of the fairy tale. By the fourth night she could tell me that it is not smart of her to look defiantly at her teacher, even if her teacher had been unfair in punishing her class. She could agree with me that at the tense moments, it is more prudent to look down and escape the wrath that would pass.

This stage of teaching took a few months, I did not push too hard. All in, I visited about four times. I learned to appreciate the commitment of this Grade One teacher. She had come to regard me as a friend. I am glad to say that from that point on, Elizabeth was quite a delight to her many teachers. She was particularly loved after we moved back to the capital, where the children of the upwardly mobile and brash new-wealth parents pale in comparison. Somehow a respectful spirit and humility in heart outshone any intellect, gifts, athletic prowess and leadership qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment