Saturday, July 2, 2011

(492) Upbringing 51

I was in a crowded place. A child was running around. She came to an abrupt stop between me and the person I was exchanging pleasantries with. Before she turned around and run on away from me, she threw a fleeting glance at me.

In that glance, she imbued it with feelings. "Now, why did you stand there and block my way? Can't you see I was heading towards you?" She was almost angry, very frustrated that this "blockhead" (me) who chose to block her rather than walking on to make way for her. There was a tinge of regret that she was one tenth my size and could not afford to knock smack into me.

Later, I fell into a conversation with her mother. I mentioned casually that her daughter reminded me of Elizabeth at that age. It was the strong will, the purposefulness, and the decisiveness that I picked up on. Quite a number of adults did not like that in Elizabeth and told me so. Even when Elizabeth was two years old, I knew what I was dealing with. I chose to see it as good raw ingredients to work with. With time, with prayers, with a lot of hard work, she became what she is today. It was all to God's glory.

I used books to shape her character. This little girl's mum fasts and prays regularly for God to change her little girl. It has been working for her. Everyone has his or her own preference. I, for one, am not inclined to fast unless it is a half day fast for my country or to make a major personal decision. I am impressed that another woman is so completely dependent and humble before the Lord. But which ever way, we all try our level best. The rest is really up to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment