Wednesday, December 1, 2010

(305) Sinking buildings

During my trip to a river side town a few days back, I saw sights that I have read about. There are cities like Venice that sinks a few inches a year. So this is really nothing new.

A kind soul who used to pastor in that town had access to her former parishioner's car. She took us round her former parish and we were shocked to see double storey houses that sunk until only half of the downstairs stick out of the stagnant water. The sad part is that  folks are dwelling in the upstairs portion with make shift stairs linking the house and the road that is dry.

It is a very rich part of the country. Just two streets away we see mansions that are well set in landscape gardens. And I mean mansions that probably boast at least fifteen bedrooms. I obviously do not belong to this upper class or I would take it as a matter of course.

According to our volunteer tour guide, the longest river in the province floods periodically. Her former church owns a few small motor boats for rescue purposes. The youth group turns out in full force for rescue efforts during the flood and for the cleaning up after the water recedes. It is all very  good for these people to do what they can to help. But more importantly the town council ought to make use of the abundance in taxes to up grade the drains that has no cement  sides nor base. It was a whole town of clog drains with full stagnating water. I certainly had not seen the likes of this since my childhood forty over years ago. Shocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment