Tuesday, December 21, 2010

( 339)Four Little girls/ Upbringing 34

I will attempt to bring you notes of four small girls who caught my eyes. Certain unrelated facts will be changed deliberately so that no one can trace them once I become known as the Dyslexic Rambler.

The first girl, I shall call her Verity. She has an extrovert as a father but an artistic mum. She was perhaps a little clingy when she was a baby. Whenever I saw her, her mother would be holding her. I actually do not remember any neighbour or friends holding her at all. What I noticed about her then was the fact that she was strong willed.  Mum was training her well as a single child, I saw good habits inculcated early on.
However, things changed after her sister was born. First Mum lost her clear, glowing complexion. Next I no longer see Mum smiling. Mum was still dutiful, conscientious but seemed to walk around as if she was in a world of her own. Next Mum's dressing become unco-ordinated, she was no longer as well turned out as before.
The shocking thing was Verity became withdrawn and sorrowful quite rapidly. She lost that stubborn sparkle in her earlier glinting eyes. To be honest, I have never come across personally a child with such sad eyes unless the child had lost one parent at a tender age.

Let us call the second one Veron. She has  a talkative father and a sensible mum. An out and out extrovert is Veron. I have images of her singing or dancing, it is not unusual to see her admiring herself in front of a mirror. In my head, I named her Little Miss Sunshine. It is funny that when her brother was born, she became more feminine, fluffy  and scatter-brain. She reminded me of many floor mates of mine in college. They were children of good circumstances, happy go lucky and outright optimists who would never imagine anything could go wrong in their lives.

Then the third one shall be Venice. A year ago I was naming her the best adjusted child, and she was too. I will always remember her as the self-absorbed child who would skippy-skipped with a happy smile towards her fashion-plate mum, totally unaware of onlookers all around.  Now that her mum was totally stressed up by a difficult younger brother; she stands helplessly by her mum, unable to help. She realised that the world no longer revolve around her, and the sudden fast-foward  growing up took away the sparkle I so like in her. Of course her mum had no more time to buy new outfits that I used to look foward to admiring from afar.

The last one shall be Vanessa. I am unable to decide if the mum or the child has a stronger will. I would imagine the mum would win at home but vice versa in public. A most pretty child but not easy to bring up. No one can attempt to help except the professionals. Mum claims to know best and keep every well wisher at arm's length. The smartest  policy with such a defensive parent is not to say anything at all.

I am sure all these girls will grow up and become good citizens. The parents are all responsible and upright individuals holding good jobs. A certain level of wealth will ensure a good education for all. But it is interesting to follow them year by year and note their developments in real time.

No comments:

Post a Comment