Monday, November 29, 2010

(300) Choice of career/ Upbringing 33

When Elizabeth was young, we lived in a small town. Living standard was low and a group of mothers who were homemakers gathered often so that children could play with each other. When she was nine years old, Aunty Eileen offered to take Elizabeth and her girl to voice lessons. Elizabeth refused and that was that. A year later, Aunty Marion offered to take Elizabeth and her daughter to drama lessons. Again Elizabeth refused. Two years later, the Sunday School Superintendent chose Elizabeth for a duet in a concert. I didn't think too much of it even though a few people did take the trouble to encourage me to look into some form of voice development.

Then fast forward five years. When Elizabeth became active in her present youth group, she took out her savings to attend ten voice training lessons. Initially I don't hear much difference, a year to two later, her voice did change for the better. When we visited Switzeland, our hostess who was a soprano prophesied that soon Elizabeth would be able to play the piano and harmonise with the music. At that point, she could either play the piano or sing. Now, four years later, being able to sing and play either the piano or guitar simultaneously is something she is comfortable with. In the interim, she managed to get involved in just about every drama staged. Just a few weeks back, I waited for her during band practice. As I walked up the stairs, I heard a female vocalist singing and leading in an interesting and attractive manner. I was most surprised when I realised it was my daughter singing. She has improved a lot since that duet seven years ago.

Then I understand why she could not see herself becoming an accountant or economist. Unless she chooses to put music to a second place as a hobby, sitting in an office eight to twelve hours a day dealing with figures may not be her first choice. Even though she is good in accounting and economics, there is no passion in her heart for those two fields. At this point I must be honest that the fact I don't have half a million set aside for her tertiary education  makes things simple. If it is God's perfect will, then she will be successful in winning a scholarship to go to an institution to pursue her passion. If it is not, then she will have to fall back on whatever offer the Government universities gives her. It is strange that my choice in major was heavily influenced by job opportunities. Now it seems that my daughter is following her heart. It is wonderful that I can pray and commit her to God, He knows what her future will be.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment