Tuesday, December 21, 2010

(341)Well brought up children/ Upbringing 35

My friend Abbie mentioned that she did not realise Kevin used to take the Steven family to church. Now that Kevin is studying in Australia, The family was walking to the bus stop when Abbie drove past. Of course Abbie stopped and offered a lift.

There are many children in church. We are a very young church in a metropolitan area. But I must say the Steven children are two precious gems. Abbie said they are well brought up the old fashion way. I said that it is not common to see respect for a grey haired woman in a child's eyes nowadays. Abbie concurred. When I had the rare occasion to talk to both the children (they are about eight and ten), they maintain eye contact with me and enunciate words clearly with a respectful look in their eyes.

What I normally see are eyes that glazed over, as long as the person they are focused on are above a certain age. At first I thought it was because I don't dress up to the city standard. Or perhaps because I don't hold any position of importance in church. But it was not that, I notice the same type of "bratty look" (that Abbie labeled) on the faces of the same children when women who are very  well dressed and are holding some positions of importance both in and out of the church.

If it was the abundant wealth that God lavishes on these new rich first generation Christians that brought about such attitudes in the second generation, then I am glad that there are a few modest-income families who are not affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment