Wednesday, November 3, 2010

(221)Blackie/ Cat tales 1

  Blackie
Many years ago I spent two weeks alone cat sitting in a picturesque cottage. It was an outside tom cat. He had stripes like tiger. Basically he was more black than white, a very fine looking adult cat.

It was summer time in Texas, the temperature bordered on hot. The owner did not name the cat. I, however, called him Blackie. My duty involved opening the door around five in the evening. If he demands food, I should open a can for him. If not, I should switch on the TV for him to watch. Should he walks to the guest toilet, then I need to open the door and later empty the litter into a bag. Usually by six, he would want to go back out. Then it would be adious till the next evening.

That was my very first experience living in one house with a cat. I spent every minute of my cat hour observing him. He was a most dignified animal. Most of the days, he would just stand outside patiently waiting for me to open the wooden front door. Only on the first Saturday, I was chatting with my sympathetic ex boss who called to check if I needed groceries. By the time I realised it was past five, Blackie was smart enough to walk over to peek at me through the glass window.  He behaved  exactly as described. I was most impressed with his predictable habits. He seemed to have an in built clock. Everyday he appeared to the minute to be let in. Most days he would eat his food, watch some TV, use his personal toilet and then go back to the great exciting outdoor.

Blackie's normal meal is tuna fish flavoured cat food. That he ate four days in a row. On the fifth day that he was hungry, he refused to eat his normal ration. As instructed, I took out alternative cans and waited for him to indicate which can to open. Sure enough, he rubbed against my leg when I showed him the expensive can of lobster flavoured luxurious brand. To him, it was a treat of kind. The food he refused was bagged and placed in the fridge for the next day's  meal.

In the first days I watched whatever programs he wanted. Later I would leave him to watch should I not like the program. Then I realised that he actually preferred sitting with me in the kitchen rather than watching the TV alone. After a while I begun to talk to him like he was my friend. I didn't think he understood me fully, but it was very obvious he caught on to my moods and responded to what I told him. It was strange that on the only day I was sad, he stayed on an extra hour to keep me company.

-- I will never leave you, or forsake you. --

No comments:

Post a Comment