Sunday, August 7, 2011

(514) Politeness

I have an old school friend who often gives expensive treats to Elizabeth and I. Being a conscientious mom, I would make sure Elizabeth sends appreciative notes after the events.

One day, I was in her palatial home. She received a sweet thank you note from her friend who came for lunch just an hour ago. I have noted that the lady in question came with a little something in hand too. To me, it was really good manners. But to my friend, she would rather those whom she sees regularly not follow Miss Manners to the dot. She reasons it this way, she merely cooks a little more and have some delightful company to share it with. It was a win-win situation and nobody loses.

After analyzing it, I realised that my friend's husband is in business. Her friend's husband is a banker. Could it be that the banker's wife is being circumspect and not wanting to owe any favours. Otherwise, it would be hard for her husband to turn down a loan application from my friend's husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment