Sunday, August 7, 2011

(512) Collectors?

I have a cousin who collects guitars. My husband asked how many guitars does he own? His answer was interesting: "Officially twenty three." Apparently he invariably kept that number at home but keeps the rest away from his wife's eyes.

My girl friend collects shoes. At last count she has sixty three pairs. Another collects hand bags. At her death, there were forty five. A third one collects books. She owns a few thousands stored safely in boxes with moth balls in her spare room.

My husband's friend is a geek. He kept buying the latest gadgets. In order to find room for the new items, he gave away the not so old ones to brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces. I suppose it is better than gambling or taking drugs. But one can imagine the thousands he spent chasing after the latest technology. It is just as well that he has a high income.

Here I want to bring in a New York celebrity chef: Marc Samuelsson. He was born and orphaned in Ethiopia. His sister and him were adopted and brought up in Sweden. His adoptive parents obviously spent their hard earned money transforming these two orphans' lives. I wonder if they still find the time and money to collect items. No, don't get me wrong! I am not really against collecting beautiful and meaningful items. I am merely pointing out that those with great resources are responsible for the wise disposal of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment