Friday, November 8, 2019

(1187) Forbidden actions

Quite a few years ago, I was sitting next to Lake Zurich in Switzerland with my youngest child and a few friends. We were admiring the peaceful and beautiful scenery that country is famous for. As a few wild ducks flew in the park and swam near us, I said these were good specimens for making into Peking ducks, in Cantonese while licking my lips.

My hostess shushed me. She told us not to think about it. Even saying about it would get me in prison and deported. Apparently the Swiss are very fond of their wild birds. Every autumn they would capture each swan and duck and transport them like VIP to some warm haven down south in another country. Then in spring on the right day, the birds would be transported back to the lake.

I suppose saying something with malicious intent to wild birds is akin like not standing up during the national anthem was played in Thailand. Visitors beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment