Friday, November 8, 2019

(1186) Holy Ghost

The year was 1984. It was a few weeks before I accepted Jesus as my saviour and lord. I was boarding in my boss Davis' house that summer. Mrs Davis dropped me at the Duke's for fellowship night  on Friday.

Charlie Duke was an astronaut on Apollo 16. He was leading a life group in New Braunfels, Texas. I remember I was the only member under the age of 45. That year I just graduated from college.

As I was a omnivorous reader, I went through just about every book in Davis' bookshelves. The last one was rather strange: it talks about the holy ghost in olden English. I didn't really understand much about it and I stopped at page 3 the night before the meeting. At the meeting, an old man asked the leader's permission and he gave a prophesy," Someone in this group is reading a book that is about the holy ghost, it is wrong in doctrine and should be burnt!"

I was struck and confessed immediately, producing the slim volume from my back pack. I said sorry to God and handed the book to my leader, telling him that it belonged to Mr Davis. Later in the meeting, another old man shared that he prayed that his brother (who was an alcoholic) would go to church with him. He specifically asked that the holy ghost could continue to work in the unbelieving heart until he could not be at rest or at ease, that he will be compelled to enter a church and return to God.

Within the summer, such prayers were answered. Looking back, I saw the power of the holy spirit working in that little group. My pastor just gave a really clear sermon  on the holy spirit last Sunday, hence it prompted memories to return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment