Saturday, April 27, 2019

(1088) Comfort food

I had claypot yee mee (wheat noodle fried dry cooked in meat broth with vege, egg, meat ball and fish cake.) for dinner.

During my silver city days, my family and I would eat in Stadium claypot noodle stall. Quite a number of locals had protested that there were many other noodle stalls with more delicious items which cost the same amount. What they said is true, yet there is something about the above food that feeds more than an empty stomach. It is a comfort food, like college students in USA ordering pizza at midnight after many hours of wringing the brains in producing papers for submission.

Another similar situation is to enjoy a bowl of thick Manhattan clam chowder when it was snowing outside. Perhaps it was the heat, maybe it was the carbohydrate that was immediately available for burning to warm the freezing body parts. Of course the hot climate here does not call for calorie laden food like that. Yet on a cool rainy night, a glass of hot Milo (chocolate drink from Nestle) does hit certain spot head on.

For my children, there was nothing better than French fries whenever I do not eat with them. For most of my life I could not stomach any fried food without suffering from oral ulcers. Even when my child was having a birthday party in McDonald's, I could not eat more than three fries. It is strange that after a life-threatening disease and certain treatments, now the first food I turn to when I start coughing is French fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment