Tuesday, April 9, 2019

(1084) Eating the right food as medical therapy

Noodle Town
No 15 Jalan USJ 1/1A
Regalia Business Centre
Subang Jaya

I had bitter melon noodle there this evening. It happened to be one of the best I have had in the Klang valley.

No. I did not go into the business of drumming business for restaurants. Ever since the month I started to  work in north eastern Borneo, I have been eating bitter melon at least twice a week. While I was working as a contract lecturer there, I was having chest pain. Since I dread going for check up, I prayed that God would send an "angel" to tell me what to eat to get rid of the pain.

That very Sunday, I was having lunch with a bunch of church members. The English Pastor's elderly widowed aunt talked to me out of the blue about the efficacy of bitter melon. She was a prayer warrior in her mid-eighties. Her idea of leisure is to read Chinese medical books. She gave me a comprehensive lecture on what bitter melon could do for my good health, the talk lasted more than an hour.

I may be a lazy person, but I am very obedient. From that day onward, I have been consuming bitter melon in different forms. In Sabah, one could eat bitter melon stuffed with fresh fish meat -- called yong tau foo as a collective name-- every morning in many places. So, I started out eating two pieces every morning with whatever breakfast I chose: rice, porridge or noodle. Lo and behold, two weeks later, the pain was gone. As long as I eat four pieces of bitter melon stuffed with fish meat every week, there was no pain.

A few years later, I found out from taking cat scan and MRI that there was scarring tissue in my lungs, probably due to excessive coughing caused by haze. I still eat bitter melon a few times a week in my home state. And I know that I would probably have better health and live longer in a rural area than in a polluted metropolitan city.

Hence, Borneo is a very attractive place for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment