Tuesday, March 10, 2015

(1005) Malaysian 'San Diego'

It was high noon. I stood in the shadow cast by my neighbour's extension. The sky was as blue as any seen in any tourist postcard. There were white clouds that look like cotton candy fluff.

The wind – O beautiful cooling wind – blew the coconut and banana leaves. It made a sound that can put a person to sleep. It was so peaceful and relaxing. The only time I experienced stronger wind was in the Appalachians (USA) in winter. This state (Sabah, north east on Borneo) is called the land below the wind. Although the hurricanes that slashed through the Philippines usually bypass here, we do have strong wind often.

I don't know if it is due to the monsoons (or could it be the cool wind from the sea?) but it is cool. If I stay in the shade, I could be wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, and not feel hot. Yet this area is hardly one hundred feet above sea level. And we are definitely within the tropics. I thank God that in this season, I can enjoy cool wind while being under the hot sun.

This wonderful feeling of being cooled by the breeze brings to mind San Diego in summer. No matter how high the temperature was, once I stepped into any shade I would feel cooled by the cold wind.


Anyway, I am thankful that I needn't drive up to Kundasan (a highland) to experience cool wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment