Monday, March 9, 2015

(1004) Tales of Monitor Lizards

I was standing at my sink washing dishes. Suddenly the chickens were squawking loudly! I looked up and saw a small green monitor lizard (about a foot and a half long) trying to get into my egg lay-er's cage. He could not, of course! The wires are too close together to even allow a three-inch-in-diameter body through.

By the time I was out with a broom, the lizard was high-tailing it out of the fence to the underdeveloped hill slope beyond.

That image brought back the memory of the monitor lizard we saw in Ipoh many years ago. I was driving my children back from afternoon activities in school. It was probably about four-thirty. A huge brown monitor lizard (probably three to four feet long) was meandering along the paved road intersecting the road in front of my house. It was huge. Its body at the widest point was bigger than that of my ten-year-old daughter (granted, she was a little on the skinny side).


I banked my car as a group of Indonesian cooks (there was a catering service in a nearby shop) crossed the road, chasing the monitor lizard. Later we heard yells of victorythey must have cornered and caught the lizard. It was considered a rare delicacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment