Saturday, November 19, 2011

(567) Alcohol

Elizabeth was working at placing some advertisements in my blog few nights ago. I refused cigarettes adverts but said beer and wine is OK for me. When she asked why, I had to stop for a moment to think of an answer.

I grew up in a typical Chinese family where my father drinks sparingly either in social occasions or privately for health. Since as young as I can recall, I would hang around my dad if I see any beer bottle being opened. I love the bitter clear taste of beer. Children are allowed a sip on ordinary days and maybe a few mouthfuls during festive days.

When I was eighteen, I went to my first party with alcohol. A dear friend's brother brought back a bottle of red wine from Australia. I was greedy and accepted a second glass. It really tasted heavenly. The same night I broke up in hives all over my body. Even a full course of anti-histamines did not chase away the itchy bumps. Finally my family doctor had to jab me.

Since then I avoided all forms of alcohols. Some friends pointed out that I may be allergic to fermentation products and not to pure alcohol. But my stand is why should I try liquor when it may adversely raise my level of allergy to a life threatening reaction? Perhaps God is being kind to me, I would not become too fond of the bottle like my maternal grand father who died  drunk at the age of forty nine by either a stroke or a heart attack. He groaned and fell dead in the midst of a shower leaving behind a young widow with five young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment