Wednesday, November 9, 2011

(563) Food?

Someone I know threw a cut lemon into the drinking water and expected the water to be drinkable 24 hours later. I suppose she was thinking of her mum using dried lemon to flavour plain water. Or maybe she could do that and get the expected result in her home country that is much cooler than the equatorial climate here.

Come to think of it, the preserved vegetables from China like salted vege and mui choy may be considered by nutritionist as non-food. But Kim Chi from Korea is good for health because of the enzymes it contains. My deceased grandma who was a peasant in southern China practically survived on preserved vegetables in the cold seasons many years ago. Now my brother and sister-in-law would not even touch such food with a ten foot pole. I actually have nothing against preserved food but since my poor health twenty years ago, I have been allergic to any food containing too much preservatives. There was not much choice for me apart from avoiding such food like plague.

From whole grain to white rice...from molasses to white refined sugar ... from fresh noodle to instant noodle ... some how we cannot escape from the changes brought by industrialization. Neither can we regain the activity level of the farmers in the by gone days as we sit in front of our computers in our air-conditioned offices or home.


No comments:

Post a Comment