Saturday, November 19, 2011

(566) Black Market by James Patterson

If I remember correctly, this is the third Patterson book I am posting about. By far, this is the best so far.

To put my feelings into context: I have been watching the happenings in Wall Street via CNN news while I was reading the book. It is sad! What I saw on TV screen was not the USA I knew in the eighties. To think that I was planning to work and settle in the States then, I shudder to think where and what would I be doing now if I did not come back to my home country twenty over years ago. Would I be one of the protesters being man handled by the uniformed personnel?

What happened to the Land of the Free? And the Home of the Brave? I do realize that Black Market was written as a fiction. But many things recorded in it sound plausible. You may call it conspiracy, but how could things changed so much within two decades? The poor lost their means of livelihood. The middle class is shrinking. Yet the rich are becoming super rich at an unrelenting pace. Is certain parts of America becoming more like Bombay and Kolkata?

No comments:

Post a Comment