Saturday, November 19, 2011

(565) A Parrot in the Pepper Tree by Chris Stewart

My brother paid $12 for this delightful volume. I was able to read it without paying a cent. I am extremely grateful for this privilege.

Much as I tried to recall, I was not sure if I have read his earlier book: Driving over Lemons. Just maybe I did read it a few years ago and the book ended up in my cousin's private library. One day I will hunt for it in her piles of books ...

I really admire Chris' courage in chasing after his heart's desire. I may like watching a Flamingo dance and love to listen to a Flamengo music number. (Am not even sure I got the terms right!) But I would never dare to save up some money, then go to study it in Spain. Perhaps generations of poverty in Southern China had instilled in my genetic ties and blood lines that one has to be down to earth and practical in life.

Really, Chris did everything that would bring horror to my parents and fore bears, yet the beauty of it is he has obtained a way of life that many of us (my extended family members) would not dare to dream about  in our wildest moments. Well, we count teachers, lecturers, bankers, engineers, advertising exec, accountants ... in my clan. All of us live in smog filled, traffic congested suburbs and hardly have much time to look at any clear blue sky and smell the roses.

Perhaps the next generation, with a little financial stability, may aspire higher than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment