Monday, September 17, 2012

(60) I'll be Home for Christmas

This version is a hilarious comedy from Walt Disney starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

From the few Christmases I spent in USA, I know this is the type of show a clan of 20-30 would be watching when they were snowed in around the Christmas-New Year holidays. It is a show that the old, the young, the mothers, the grandfathers, the romantic as well as the cynics could find something to relate to.

From a tropical paradise, such a movie evokes the nostalgia in me. I will probably never be in a temperate country again in the Christmas season, not that I do not want to. It is simply prohibitively expensive to fly during such super peak season. So it is just as well I could relive the best of Christmas through the TV screen.

I love the different geographical regions Thomas traveled through. A lot of the mountain scenery, I have not had the chance to see in person. Whatever parts of America I have been to, I am most grateful that as a student people have driven me through hundreds of miles to take me to their homes. It is a privilege that I live in the digital TV signal age that I get to see Sky TV showing me panoramic views of Colorado and the New England. I am well content with armchair traveling.

I like the theme of this movie: that Christmas is about what we can give others, whether it is a present, time, a helping hand , attention, company, love, or money. Being a taker pales in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment