Monday, April 25, 2011

(391) Agony

In the beginning of the year, I prayed for a temporary job. In my heart, I thought Elizabeth and I would get temporary posts at an advertising company. She applied for data entry and I was thinking of consumer interviewing. It was interesting, the timing was out. When she was available, there was no vacancy. Just 28 days after that, an offer came. By then she had settled in her new job, quite reluctant to leave. Even though there was one more vacancy in her current firm, I did not dare to get involve in form pushing and administration. From past experience, I know that this is my weakest area.

About a month after Elizabeth started at her stressful job, I went for my blood test before my medical appointment. After the blood test, I decided to visit a non-denominational mission organization. As soon as I rang the bell and the door was opened, I could see the surprise on the Director's face. Apparently, he was on the phone leaving a message with my daughter for me to call him. And I just materialized in front of him a few moments later. Sure, I thought, it was more than chance that ordained my turning up out of the blue. Since the project was within my capability, I agreed without much hesitation.

Less than a month later, the above-mentioned project has not started yet. A book came into my hands, the author was looking for a translator. I was surprised, few people knew I could translate. Since I have never translated professionally, I did not have any track record. After asking a few questions, I realized why it was difficult for the author to find a translator. First the translator has to be a Christian, next he/she has to believe in end time prophecy.That combination of requirements obviously reduced the number of candidates in the playing fields drastically.

Here comes the difficulty: Should I take it? How much should I charge? How long should  I ask for? Shouldn't I just turn it down and save myself lots of headache?

Then I thought, such an opportunity comes perhaps only once in a life time. I decided to commit it to God, ask for a longer period and promise that if I could do the job within a shorter period, I would hand in earlier. And prayerfully I would submit a higher price, if it is not mine, then the job would go to another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment