Wednesday, April 13, 2011

(388) High demand children

Yesterday afternoon Elizabeth and I went visiting. Our hostess' only child was very wide awake and active throughout the afternoon. Someone asked if the child still takes afternoon naps. The answer, interestingly, turned out to be yes for weekdays, and no for weekends.

My thoughts straight away ran to a scene: there I was after a marathon three day weekend entertaining my son. We had been everywhere and done everything he liked to do. He was still running on high octane fuel and was tickling me at eleven pm. I just nod off while tucking him in. Thank God I could send him to his nanny at seven the next morning and I could choose to run home to nap for two hours. First class wasn't on until eleven am on Monday mornings.

That energy draining son of mine would proceed to his nanny's and sleep throughout the day except for meals and bath time. That kind of thing would definitely happen on Mondays. Perhaps for Tuesdays if Friday was a public holiday. On Monday night he would come home bright and ready to play. Praise God that children do eventually grow up. It was difficult to have such a child to care for at nights even for a part-time teacher like me. I was extremely fortunate that none of my other children were like my eldest son.

No comments:

Post a Comment