Monday, February 1, 2021

(1320) Scallop

My sister-in-law is a Cantonese. She brought new ingredients into my family. Porridge for children was boiled with dried scallop.

Talking about scallop, I remembered the very first time I had fresh scallop was in San Francisco with my "little sister". While in college, my "big sister" was a white American who grew up in West Germany. My "little sister" was a Singaporean. It was a syatem of having a junior or senior helping a freshman settle in the first month.

With my mum, a good cooking stock was made from anchovies, chicken carcase or pork bones. My current landlady, however, uses dried oyster or scallop, chicken bones and pork vertebrae. Apparently top stock was always made with sea food, fowl and cattle.No wonder Chinese spinach in top stock (siong tong yin choi, Cantonese) always tasted very rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment