Monday, February 1, 2021

(1317) Fish Maw

As a child, I was a picky eater. Often, when food on the table could not be easily identified, my mum wouldn't say what it was unless I try it.

The first time I know of eating the air-sacs of fish was in Silver city. My dear neighbour cooked for three families and often passed food over the fence. I suspected that she took pity on my husband and children, as I am really not much of a cook. One good turn deserves another, in return I used to help her picking up items or take her to places. She did not learn to drive.

When I raved about Mrs Chan's yu peow(Chinese name for fish maw) soup, my dad said that he must have eaten lots while it was poor man's food. When he was growing up in a fishing village, they would air dry the sacs and then deep fry them to keep. Then the Japanese scientists found that it contained unique proteins that contributed to good health, they bidded up the price of fish maw in South East Asian coastal cities. Now it is known as rich man's food, served during festivals and Chinese New Year. In a few years' time, my dad would have been born 100 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment