Monday, February 1, 2021

(1319) Abalone

As far as I could recall, abalone was an expensive delicacy. The first time I ate a fresh abalone was during a wedding reception in a Singapore hotel, I was 24 years old.

As a foreign student visiting a beach in Victoria, Australia, my husband found live abalone in the seventies. I asked if it tasted good. He said he threw it back into the sea as there was a local law forbidding the harvesting of sea creatures.

Fast forward 25 years, my nephew told his mother in a pleading voice,"I don't want to eat any more abalone!" We all laughed. The three year old didn't realize he was most fortunate to be fed abalone, which was considered on par with bird nest as Imperial Court food for Chinese Emperors in history.

Now my nephew is 14 years old. Imagine my delight when I heard that he earns 3 to 4 digit income from video editing on line. Maybe the shut downs really could be considered a blessing in his case.

No comments:

Post a Comment