Tuesday, January 19, 2021

(1312)Thought of a faraway friend from long ago

Now I am back in the north-eastern part of Borneo since July 2020. We are currently under a third lock-down due to COVID. In between house work, cooking abd writing, I resorted to reading Time and Newsweek magazines from years past. A word smith has to hone her craft. Since libraries are closed, I would read whatever at hand.

The latest copy I read was Newsweek from 2007. It was the copy that honoured the American Military personnel that died in Iraq. Most of the photographs were of young male, 18-30 years old. Of course there were of older male and a few female soldiers, but the numbers were low.

Thoughts flew back to the summer of 1984. I was in Texas housesitting before college term started. Apart from a cat and a few phone calls, it was like a silent retreat. As I picked up a few calls and took down messages, I started chatting with a Navy pilot based in San Antonio. He was a contact of my host, a General in reserve. We met once in church while my host went to speak in a nearby town. At that point of time an offer was made to enrol me in University of Texas in Arlington. Even though the finance part was taken care of, circumstances were such that with a grateful heart I declined the offer and left to go home. It was sad that I was not able to stay on in Texas to continue the accidental friendship.

Sitting on a balcony surrounded by constant drizzle, the fifth rainy day in a week, I wonder if my friend was well. It was unlikely he would be a statistic in the gulf. It was most unlikely he would be in the land battle. Also his age group did not co-incide with the fatal statistics. I am glad. If he survived the Middle Eastern conflicts, he should retire next year. I wish him and all my American friends well in this turbulent time.

No comments:

Post a Comment