Saturday, January 2, 2021

(1305) Birds

Being confined to a building for weeks at a stretch actually allowed me to be observant of animal life in the neighbourhood. Gangs of sparrows flitted from the roof to the window grills. Pigeons haunted the eateries looking for handouts. Swiftlets nested in the nooks of untenanted corridors. A pair of hawks flew high in the sky floating on thermals. Black birds with orange beaks, the type that could be trained to imitate human speech, roamed on the green lawn. Two wild chickens, which annoyed the delivery boys by pecking on their shoe lace, were shooed away. Last of all a pair of nesting yellow wag tails lived nearby, but moved after my close observation for too many days.

For a busy commercial area, I am blessed with such a wide range of wild birds. Oh, I forgot about the many white cranes hanging around the pond. It sounded like a wild life sanctuary, didn't it? Thankful for the many bird songs, I threw egg shells broken into bits and papaya skin cut into shreds near the pond for them. That is my bit of conservation effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment