Tuesday, January 19, 2021

(1310) Circuit breaker

I came back from buying breakfast. It was overcast and has been raining six nights consecutively. Thank goodness we live on high ground and are less than 3 km away from the coast. Else we would have been evacuated as flood victims.

To have a meal, I switched on the overhead light. Oh-oh! The line tripped. As I quickly switched it off as soon as I realized what happened, my son went to the mains to reset the offending switch. We were dismayed that the freezer unit did not kick on. It was full of uncooked meat. Our landlady is a caterer. The long deep freezer is probably holding $5,000 worth of red meat.

On top of low customer demand and the fast approaching Chinese New Year, she does not need anymore worries. I quickly laid hand on the affected freezer and prayed a restoration prayer. We looked at each other and decided to eat our early meal before deciding to call her with the bad news. After all, a functioning freezer could hold its own for about 8 hours even if there is a black out.

Lo and behold, as I was swallowing my last mouthful of fried noodle, the freezer kicked in. I wasn't sure and went to touch it to feel the vibration that should be there. My son was jubilant! He knew each freezer intimately by its individual whirring sound. Thank God it worked on, thus delaying the inevitable evil day. We prayed it will not stop working until every last piece of meat is cooked. After all, it is a most hardy machine that lasted at least 10 years. May it take the final rest when the owner does not need it after the peak period.

No comments:

Post a Comment