Monday, September 16, 2019

(1157) Intern 1

My grandma had many Hakka proverbs. One of them is "lan yan toh si liu". It basically states that lazy people has lots of toilet breaks.

That illustrated an intern in the community college I worked in four years ago. My desk was about ten feet away from the toilet entrance. If I care to, I could keep a log of my colleague's breaks. To be fair, most folks were conscientious. One Friday I stayed behind to enter marks into my register. Those tabulated results had to be submitted on Monday morning. Since scoring English papers took time, I couldn't have done it any earlier.

I was surprised to see my colleague from the Accounts Department. Office hours were eight to four, Monday to Friday. Rosyati confessed that she stayed to fill in forms from her Intern's college. No, this particular intern is no help at all. The latter was willing but very careless. Instead of assigning work to the intern and having to check line by line, the supervisor would rather leave the girl to menial tasks with lots of free time. That explained the frequent toilet visits. Well, a girl had to apply lipstick, wash hands, pat the hair blown and disarrayed by air-conditioner...  

No comments:

Post a Comment