Sunday, September 1, 2019

(1147) The Marble Collector by Cecelia Ahern

This is a delightful tale told in a breath-taking manner. When my brothers were young, I remember at least two marble seasons. We were poor then. The boys in the neighbourhood played with clay marbles. There were no tar roads in the housing estate during that era. We lived in one unit among the rows of tiny wooden houses built on land owned by one individual. My grandma used to pay $3 per month to the landlord. When my father bought a brick house, my grandma sold the wooden house for $3,000, she signed the sale and purchase document with an X in front of a local Justice of Peace with the lawyer and the purchaser in attendance.

Those houses were condemned and taken down years ago. A few years after 1969(the year my family moved away), most of our old neighbours moved out after us too. The area then became a place for housing foreign workers.

I have not visited my childhood haunt for years. The only landmark remaining is my first Primary school. Along the Old Klang Road, 4 1/2 Mile is almost the mid point between Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya. Folks value the location for its proximity to the two cities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment