Sunday, September 1, 2019

(1148) Hazardous job

In this town, rubbish collection is centralised. There is one or two collection points in one housing estate, depending on the size of the area.

When I first moved here, I was pleased that the point is within walking distance from my residence. For the first week, I would wake up at 6:10 am and would get outdoor by 6:30 am. It is natural to throw the rubbish before I get my breakfast. I did that until the soup noodle waitress told me gently and tactfully that nobody in this town would visit the rubbish collection point that early.

Well, I stopped leaving that early. It is not because I have any fears of my safety walking around before the sun rays hit my skin. I figure: when in Rome, do as the Romans. From all my early walks, I have only met folks walking to the bus stop on the main road. There were maids sharing a heavy load to tip out at the dumpster. Once there were two native boys, tidily dressed with packed lunch and bottles of drinking water, going to work at some manual labour. Of course every morning I see the sweepers in fluorescent uniforms who were busy sweeping.

What really shocked me was an entire family, from wiry father in his twenties, to pregnant mother in her late teens and teenage pretty girl in her head scarf, to children of different ages and sexes were grubbing at the dump site. I presumed they live at the single room beside the car wash facility - I counted eight of them.

My son told me those are the undocumented aliens. The only way they could earn their daily bread was to collect and sell the recyclable rescued from the dumpsters. I asked how come there is no one above 35 years old. He said the content of the batteries or other high tech stuff probably killed those who habitually handle such toxic things without gloves, barrier overalls or face/nose masks.
I mulled on what I heard and seen. For now, I segregate the recyclables from garbage-a small step to assist the task of recycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment