Wednesday, May 15, 2019

(1091) Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson

I borrowed "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" maybe five years ago. Lately all three books fall into my ownership. Therefore I read "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" back to back. All in I read more than a thousand pages within four days.

As in reading crime and detection genre of books, one could hardly put it down. Yet I have another interest reading them: for the Asperger angle. I suspect I have quite a few former Asperger's syndrome family members, both in my extended family and my husband's side.

As I was reading the first book in the Trilogy a second time, I was looking back into my own childhood to examine my own interactions with my suspected childhood playmate. Years ago I knew he was weird and different from most children. Now I see much broad similarities between him and Salander. I run all four children of my playmates through my mind's eye, two of the next generation display fewer traits, yet they too may be high functioning as well. One is in pre-university at age 14, the other was a straight A scorer throughout school life; yet both are somewhat socially inept.

I know dyslexic folks have a hard time overcoming their obstacles, yet out of the many close friends of mine whom I later found to be co-sufferers when their children were diagnosed, they seem to do better than Asperger folks. I know one really cannot choose, if the parent showed up with symptoms on the Autism spectrum, then nobody could guess how each child would turn out. I am relatively lucky that I did not have to deal with a full-blown autistic child.

No comments:

Post a Comment