Saturday, May 11, 2019

(1090) A happy carer is one who is well fed

A neighbour I had in Borneo came to town to babysit her grandson. I thought I caught up with her by having dinner nearby.

She called up and talked for at least an hour. I suppose she settled on me because I spent at least two and a half years listening to her and her husband during all the yummy dinners cooked by their devoted maid. So I know all the ins and outs of her family dynamics and circumstances.

I found it hard to believe that a woman more than sixty years old could spent many days of the two months having one or two meals a day. I managed to swallow it because many years ago I met a young woman who actually woke up at 6:00am but could not find time to eat anything by 2:00pm because she was so busy looking after a bunch of toddlers.

Recently the young woman (not so young anymore now) shared that I opened my big mouth many years ago quoting how on an airplane, should the cabin decompresses, an adult should put on her own oxygen mask before tending to dependents. I could not remember saying such pearls of wisdom. But she is a most truthful person, if she say so with an earnest face, then it was probably so.

This time I suggested that my former neighbour buy a bag of instant oat and a tin of 23 grain protein powder. No matter how busy she was cleaning, playing, feeding or teaching the grandson, it is imperative she make herself a glass of instant oat with hot water and drink it in the morning as early as possible. Then at 12:00pm, she should make herself a thick glass of liquid protein and drink it before 1:00pm.

Perhaps if this lady really adopt my suggestion, she may even lose some unwanted weight. I still remember her gastric pills while working in her contract job in Borneo. It is rather amazing that she has not suffered from gastric so far. Perhaps child care is pure joy, not stressful like supervising 67 subordinates minding a huge store and delivering goods all over the town.

While my acquaintance from many years ago is a tip-top cook and my ex-neighbour is an able administrator, I am pretty hopeless in either province. I barely get by cooking to raise a family and did some simple administrative tasks monitoring student grades and keeping accurate time sheets as a part-time lecturer. I thank God that I am logical and have a few ounces of common sense. No one would ever find me starving because I was too busy caring for infants or toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment