Saturday, March 23, 2013

(217) Asking for a miracle

Being a believer, I often pray. Most of the time is for good weather when I am on the go and I pray for parking in crowded places. Yes, I pray for finances, places in universities for my children, gainful employment, scholarships and good exam results. Recently I visited my elderly aunt in hospital and prayed for a successful hip replacement surgery, speedy recovery and painlessness. Of course others prayed too, my husband and children, my Wednesday prayer group, my husband's Sunday morning group, my old uncle(my aunt's brother)'s entire family too.

Above all that I expected, she came out of the long operation and she was alert. She healed rapidly, until today she only took one pain killer when my cousin insisted because the patient had to travel to the hospital to take out the stitches. She started standing on both feet within a week of the operation and two nights ago she attempted to walk to the toilet by herself. My poor cousin almost had a fit as she was afraid the old lady would fall. The next day the carer resorted to tying one leg of the patient's to the bed post so as to remind her that she needed help going to the toilet.

I am most amazed and grateful that God answered our prayers. When the patient's daughter challenged me to pray for the former's short term memory lost to be reversed, I balked. After reading lengthy articles on Alzeimer's and dementia, I lack the faith to believe. If I don't believe, there is not much point praying.

However, by chance I attended a Full Gospel Business Men's meeting and heard that one young man received a new brain after being in a coma for six months. Well, I did not ask for a new brain for my aunt, I merely requested for the ability to remember. In return for the speaker's prayer, I promised to take my aunt, who lives an hour away, to the meeting to testify if she recovers her memory. After all, she needs salvation more than a good brain at age eighty four. (The above was blogged on 3/23/13)

On 4/15/13 my aunt's  memory has not improved. I take it that the answer from God is no or wait. I, an ordinary mortal, cannot understand why some prayers are answered fast and in a beautiful manner; but other prayer requests are not granted. God is sovereign and his ways are much higher than all I can think or reason. Recently a former church member died in Singapore of cancer in her thirties despite months of corporate and personal prayers. She happened to have rather young children. The only silver lining is that the deceased's last wish of having her parents accept Jesus into their hearts was granted. Both aged parents repeated the sinners' prayer ( in her presence) during her last window of consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment